Monday, July 30, 2007

Attention-grabbing story in the Island

In the story when you come across the word FUNDI it stands for WITCH DOCTORS!

"Interacting with people is one way of getting to know their ways of life”!
In the process of interacting many times I hear the word fundi, fundi,! Then one day I was told for u to leave peaceful and have your issues run smoothly here you have to consult fundi. Mhh! I was curious to know more so I kept on listening and asking. Then I was told the most vital thing, if I've come with my Husband or fiancé/boyfriend I should go immediately to see the Fundi so as to tie him before I cry crocodile tears! I asked, why should I see fundi and tie him? .They told me seriously If i don't!, just in one week he will be taken away from me. I asked why and how? I was told its normal and it has become a culture for women to go to fundi for that purpose (tying men) since everyday women are searching for new one especially who seems to be in a good position financially. I thought they were kidding!!! I couldn't believe.

It was not until one Saturday when a woman of Mainland origin came to the house where I was staying with my friends crying, saying her husband has been missing since Friday and his mobile phone was off, not even his friends or relatives knew his whereabouts. It was so bad! She was real in bad shape! Can u imagine they married some couple of months ago? Gosh! I remembered the story about fundi, fundi, fundi.. The woman said people were advising her to consult fundi, telling her that she should learn how to live in the Island and keep in mind the saying which says" WHEN YOU GO TO ROME DO AS ROMANS DO" but she couldn't because she doesn't believe in those stuffs.

Sunday night the woman gave us very awful and heartbreaking news that her husband went to Shamba (this is the place where big tourist hotels and beaches are located, like 40km from town) to marry another woman!!!!! That Friday the guy had converted to Islamic and their marriage took place in the Mosque. (The man was strongly tied eeeh!)

I am still researching on this issue to know how marriage/courtships/ relationships survive for those who do not consult fundi. After my research I will get back to you.

2 comments:

keyboy said...

I am Caitlins Grandfather.a retired diplomat I traveled all over the world but the only African countries I visited were Egypt,Sudan and the countries of North Africa. I am enjoying your and Caitlins Blogs and look forward to the next entries.

Anonymous said...

Well said.